Victim Compensation Program

The victim compensation program of GCLC provides legal assistance to victims of crime to construct an application for criminal injuries compensation.

You could be eligible to make a claim for compensation if:

  • You have suffered from physical harm, mental or nervous shock, and/or pregnancy as a result of an offence.
  • You are a close relative of a person who unfortunately was killed as a result of an offense.
  • You have experienced financial loss as a result of injury from an offense.

If successful in obtaining compensation, the amount of compensation awarded will depend on the severity of your physical or mental injuries.

A family gathered around a table.

Help us, help you!

Before your initial appointment you need to have reported the crime and assisted police in apprehending the offender.

 After your initial consultation, if you choose GCLC to assist you, take advantage of your victim compensation appointment and come prepared. Bring any supporting documents, this may include but not limited to:

  • Physical/mental injury reports.
  • Police Reports.
  • Statements from employer’s worker’s compensation insurer or private insurer.
  • Proof of expenses (medical).

Did you know?

Due to the complexity of a victim compensation application, it may take up to 12-18 months for a final decision to be made.

The limitation time in making a claim for compensation is 3 years from the date of the offence. In certain and rare circumstances, the individual may be granted an extension.

A family gathered around a table.

Useful links:

Compensation for victims of crime factsheet. /sites/default/files/inline-files/Compensation_victims_of_crime.pdf

Victim compensation Information. /find-legal-answers/managing-your-affairs/injuries/compensation-victims-crime

Counselling and support services for victims of crime. /community-services/counselling-services/court-counselling-and-support-services#criminal-injuries-compensation

Criminal injuries compensation FAQs. /C/criminal_injuries_compensation.aspx

Ecourts portal and information. /eCourtsPortal/

Information and support for victims of crime. /organisation/department-of-justice/commissioner-victims-of-crime

Find a Phycologist in your area. /find-a-psychologist

You can request an appointment by completing this form.

Appointments can also be requested by contacting our office by phone or email.